lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From Karl Wettin <karl.wet...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Field.Store.YES Question
Date Thu, 05 Feb 2009 09:14:27 GMT

5 feb 2009 kl. 09.30 skrev Amin Mohammed-Coleman:

> Is there a seperate part in the lucene document that the tokenised
> strings
> are stored and therefore Lucene knows where to look?

Yes.

Stored fields is meta data bound to a document, for instance the
primary key of the object the Lucene document represents. Note that I
call this meta data, it is not the data Lucene looks at when searching.

In order to collect a list of documents matching a query Lucene
navigates an inverted index of string tokens. Usually each word in a
string is made in to a token, but there are many other strategies. (A
token is known as a term when associated with a specific field name.)

You might want to take a look at this:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Inverted_index

There is a third way Lucene stores data, the so called term vector
view. This is a cache of the terms available in a document, available
as it is very expensive for an inverted index to extract the terms
available in a document.

      karl