lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From "Simon Willnauer" <simon.willna...@googlemail.com>
Subject Re: Help with installing Lucene
Date Wed, 07 Jan 2009 14:50:41 GMT
Hi there,

On Wed, Jan 7, 2009 at 3:39 PM, ahammad <ahmed.hammad@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I have a side project coming up which requires writing a search engine. I
> came across Lucene but I'm having some problems figuring out how to install
> it. I'm trying to get it to work on a Windows box.
>
> On the Lucene website, there are two files: lucene-2.4.0-src.zip and
> lucene-2.4.0.zip (with their asc files). What's the difference between those
> two and which one do I need if I want to write the search engine?
The ucene-2.4.0.zip contains the binary distribution of lucene while
ucene-2.4.0-src.zip contains the source files etc.
If you wanna build lucene yourself you need the source distribution,
otherwise the binary is fine for you.
Include the jar files in you project / classpath and start playing
around with it.
These links should give you a good start...
http://lucene.apache.org/java/2_4_0/gettingstarted.html
http://lucene.apache.org/java/2_4_0/demo.html

> Also, I am not familiar with the asc file and I'm not sure if those commands
> that are on the site can be used in the command line in Windows. I know
> about Lucene in Action and I'm still in the process of getting it.
The asc files are signature files, you can use them to verify the
downloaded files using the GNU Privacy Guard (GPG). Check GPG if you
are curious.

happy coding...

simon