lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From "John Wang" <john.w...@gmail.com>
Subject TermScorer default buffer size
Date Wed, 07 Jan 2009 06:25:17 GMT
Hi:

   The default buffer size (for docid,score etc) is 32 in TermScorer.

    We have a large index with some terms to have very dense doc sets. By
increasing the buffer size we see very dramatic performance improvements.

    With our index (may not be typical), here are some numbers with buffer
size w.r.t. performance in our query (a large OR query):

    Buffer-size  improvement
2042 -       22.0 %
4084 -       39.1 %
8172 -       51.1 %

    I understand this may not be suitable for every application, so do you
think it makes sense to make this buffer size configurable?

Thanks

-John