lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From "Hayes, Peter" <Peter.Ha...@fmr.com>
Subject RE: Google finance-like suggestible search field
Date Thu, 15 Jan 2009 02:38:21 GMT
Yes Jack that is what we found.

One approach we kicked around is using a standard TermQuery but breaking
up each word into its prefixes.  For example, the word 'IBM' would be
added to a document broken into 'I', 'IB', 'IBM'.  The downsides seem to
be a lot of waste in the index.

Any thoughts on that approach?

-----Original Message-----
From: Jack Stahl [mailto:jack@yelp.com]
Sent: Wednesday, January 14, 2009 9:24 PM
To: java-user@lucene.apache.org
Subject: Re: Google finance-like suggestible search field

Eric,

I don't think that will work.  The PrefixQuery generates a giant
BooleanQuery that ORs one TermQuery for each matching term in the index
for
that prefix.  So the problem isn't the number of fields, but that
PrefixQueries dont scale to large indices.

Jack

On Wed, Jan 14, 2009 at 6:18 PM, Angel, Eric <eangel@business.com>
wrote:

> Peter,
>
> Why don't you put all your "autocompletable" values into a single
> document field and just query a single field?  Google seems to only
use
> two fields for autocomplete - symbol and company name.
>
> Eric

BooleanQuery
> with multiple PrefixQuery across each field.  We quickly ran into the
> TooManyClauses exception and are looking for alternatives.
>
> Is there an implementation pattern for this use case using lucene?
This