lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From Antony Bowesman <...@teamware.com>
Subject Re: Lucene 2.4 - Searching
Date Wed, 28 Jan 2009 00:46:07 GMT
Karl Heinz Marbaise wrote:

> I have a field which is called filename and contains a filename which
> can of course be lowercase or upppercase or a mixture...
>
> I would like to do the following:
>
> +filename:/*scm*.doc
>
> That should result in getting things like
>
> /...SCMtest.doc
> /...scmtest.doc
> /...scm.doc
> etc.
>
> May be someone can give me hint how to solve this...

It's all down to the analyzer you use when you index that field and how you
choose to tokenize it.  If you want to always search case insensitively, then
you should lower case the filename when indexing.

Depending on how you implemented your query parser, if you have implemented
wildcard query support, if it's anything like the standard QP, it will not put
the query string through the analyzer, so a search for

+filename:/*SCm*.doc

would then not find anything, so you'd need to make sure you lower case all the
filename field searches at some point.

I use a custom analyzer for filenames, which lower cases and tokenizes by letter
or digit or any custom chars and my query parser supports custom analyzers for
getFieldQuery().

If you want to keep the original filename, then just store the field as well as
index it, then you can get the original back from the Document.

Antony