lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From Andrzej Bialecki ...@getopt.org>
Subject Re: Determining index term count
Date Wed, 07 Jan 2009 20:43:20 GMT
Greg Shackles wrote:
> I'm not sure offhand how to write the code to do it, but I know when you
> open an index in Luke, that is one of the numbers it gives you.  If you want
> to just get the number once that would be an easy way to do it.  If you want
> the code for it, Luke is open source so you could see how they do it.  (I
> used Luke as a starting point at one point for seeing how to get a list of
> high frequency terms).

Luke currently uses the same method as you used, i.e. creates a TermEnum
and traverses all terms. This is fast enough and doesn't require access
to implementation details.

There is a faster way to do it, but it's not exposed through API.
SegmentReader (a concrete impl. of IndexReader) opens a TermInfosReader,
which has a field SegmentTermEnum:indexEnum, which in turn has a field
"size", and this is the number of terms. Accessing this information this
way would be messy - it's better to propose that this information should
be added to API.

--
Best regards,
Andrzej Bialecki     <><