lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From "Erick Erickson" <erickerick...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Best way to do date sort
Date Tue, 13 Jan 2009 13:47:46 GMT
This question, along with many possible answers has been
discussed many times, so there's a wealth of information
in the searchable archive.

The short form is "it depends". Do you want to sort? In
that case storing a single field will cost you when sorting.
Store the coarsest granularity you can. Consider breaking
up the date field (i.e. one field containintg YYYYMMDD,
perhaps one field containing HHMM or even one field
with HH and one with MM).

This kind of strategy will save you far more space than worrying
about strings vs number. And will sort faster. etc.

Best
Erick