lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From ahammad <ahmed.ham...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Help with installing Lucene
Date Wed, 07 Jan 2009 17:42:06 GMT

Greg Shackles wrote:

> Depending on what you need, there might be something already built that
> can
> do what you want.  I can't look up links right now but you might want to
> look into Solr and see if that works for what you want.  Otherwise, I
> think
> there are code samples and whatnot on the Lucene site to help get you
> started writing your own application.  It's very easy to use : )
>
> - Greg

Essentially, we have a database (can't recall if it is Oracle or MSSQL) that
contains a bunch of articles. There is a website with search functionality
that allows the user to retrieve those articles and display them on the
page. Essentially it's like a Wikipedia type website. If it's relevant, I'll
see if I can get the existing architecture that we currently use.

I'm not sure if it's a better idea to use something like Solr or start from
scratch and customize the application as I move forward. What do you think?

Thanks for all the replies btw.