lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From ahammad <ahmed.ham...@gmail.com>
Subject Help with installing Lucene
Date Wed, 07 Jan 2009 14:39:37 GMT

Hello,

I have a side project coming up which requires writing a search engine. I
came across Lucene but I'm having some problems figuring out how to install
it. I'm trying to get it to work on a Windows box.

On the Lucene website, there are two files: lucene-2.4.0-src.zip and
lucene-2.4.0.zip (with their asc files). What's the difference between those
two and which one do I need if I want to write the search engine?

Also, I am not familiar with the asc file and I'm not sure if those commands
that are on the site can be used in the command line in Windows. I know
about Lucene in Action and I'm still in the process of getting it.

I have a decent amount of experience with software development, but I've
never started a full project from scratch...I usually code modules and
things like that, and another developer takes care of the rest. This is
probably why I'm having a hard time with this.

I hope I'm posting this in the correct place. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks.