lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From Lebiram <>
Subject Re: Extract the text that was indexed
Date Fri, 02 Jan 2009 12:23:17 GMT
Hi Hoss,

Before posting this question, I did try FieldNormModifier approach.

It did modify it.
>From one big segment it added 7 more small segments per field.

However, upon testing this index, the norms problem still occurs with the same stack trace

This leads me to believe that FieldNormModifier doesn't actually remove the norms but just
modifies it so that the norms will be a constant 1 byte value which acts similar to that of

This was the execution:

java -Xmx1280m -Xms1024m -cp ./lucene-misc-2.3.1.jar;../../lucene-core-2.3.1.jar org.apache.lucene.index.FieldNormModifier
C:/index -n field1 field2 field3 field4 field5 field6 field7

From: Chris Hostetter <>
Sent: Friday, January 2, 2009 12:25:13 AM
Subject: Re: Extract the text that was indexed

: > Just wanted to reconstruct a new index based on an existing index(but
: > turning off norms) that's all.
: If you want to create an identical index but without norms use
: FieldNormModifier in contrib/miscellaneous.

and that ladies nad gentlemen is *exactly* the definition of an "X/Y
Problem" ...

Please, Please, PLEASE! .. help us help you.  Ask questions about
your goal, not about problems you are encountering with a particular
approach you are attempting to achieve your goal (or at a very least: tell
us the goal you are trying to achieve along with the approach you are
having problems with)

To unsubscribe, e-mail:
For additional commands, e-mail: