lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From "Yonik Seeley" <ysee...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: What is speeding up repeated searches?
Date Wed, 17 Dec 2008 18:22:25 GMT
On Wed, Dec 17, 2008 at 12:49 PM, Annette Tisdale
<annette@whiteoblivion.com> wrote:
> I've noticed in our lucene app that subsequent identical searches are faster
> than the first search. So if I search for "things you know" the first
> response time will be 160ms, the second will be 23ms. Then if I search for
> "something else" the first response time will be 133ms and the second will
> be 3ms.

The first search, and the first search per-field can cause some low
level structures to be cached.
There is also hotspot optimization that can make first queries slower
than later queries (but not for too long).
After that, most of that you are seeing will be due to operating
system disk cache (i.e. outside Lucene).

-Yonik