lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From <Joseph.Syj...@ph.lawson.com>
Subject Default and optimal use of RAMDirectory
Date Tue, 16 Dec 2008 16:13:36 GMT

Hi all,

First of I'd like to say I'm quite pleased to be a part of this mailing
list - its even more exciting to know that we have Otis G. and Erik H.,
authors of (at least in my opinion) the Lucene Bible - Lucene in Action,
actively answering all these inquiries =)

We're currently in the initial stages of implementing lucene as part of our
product and one problem that we need to resolve is optimizing lucene.  I've
been reading Lucene in Action book and one of the tips for optimizing
lucene indexing is by using RAMDirectory as a buffer before writing to
FSDirectory.  According to the book, this is done internally and
automatically when I use FSDirectory.  My questions are 1.) What's the
default implementation/ computation used in allocating RAMdirectory when we
implement FSDirectory and 2.) What's the optimal way of customizing
RAMDirectory usage - any tips on how to do it.

BTW, we're using Lucene 2.3.2

Thanks for all the help

Joseph