lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From Tim Sturge <tstu...@hi5.com>
Subject Re: Issue upgrading from lucene 2.3.2 to 2.4 (moving from bitset to docidset)
Date Wed, 10 Dec 2008 21:13:24 GMT
Yes (mostly). It turns those terms into an OpenBitSet on the term array.
Then it does a fastGet() in the next() and skipTo() loops to see if the term
for that document is in the set.

The issue is that fastGet() is not as fast as the two inequalities in FCRF.
I didn't directly benchmark FCTF against FCRF because I had a different
application in mind for FCTF (location boxes). However it wasn't as
efficient in that case as directly realizing the bit sets. This was mostly
because in the application I had in mind there were a lot (>100K) of terms
with relatively low frequency and queries that needed only a few hundred
terms in the set.

I tried a sorted list of terms and Arrays.binarySearch() but that is way
slower as is Set<Integer> (no surprise there). I was thinking about a custom
hash table implementation but I'm not hopeful; it increases cycle cost and
means

So it is efficient but for a more limited set of cases than FCRF. My gut
feeling is that FCRF is a better solution for "most" range filters, whereas
FCTF is a better solution for "some" term set filters (versus creating
TermsFilter objects on the fly each time) It all depends on how common the
terms are and how large the sets of terms are. Lots of terms (or a few very
common terms) it wins. A few less common terms it loses.

I'll open a JIRA issue for it.

Tim