lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From Grant Ingersoll <gsing...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Stemming behavior
Date Sat, 20 Dec 2008 01:10:40 GMT
This is likely one of the many subtleties of the Porter stemmer.  Dr.
Porter has chosen a particular way of doing things, but it isn't
necessarily right for everyone.  You really have to measure the net
benefit across all your searches, not specifically just one.  If you
can't live with this particular case, you can implement a protected
words approach or try some other stemmers.

If you go to the snowball site and peruse their archives you will find
much discussion of these kinds of issues.

Sorry I can't offer more in terms of a solution.

-Grant

On Dec 19, 2008, at 5:33 AM, Jay Malaluan wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I'm using the SnowballAnalyzer for my stemming processing.
> search words: love, loved, loveliness, loveless, lovely, and loving
>
> On my index I have the word love. The behavior during searching is
> that it
> can't correctly stem the two words loveliness, loveless to love. And
> the odd
> thing is loveliness is stemmed to "loveli" and loveless is not
> stemmed at
> all.
>
> Does anyone already encountered this and have suggestions on other
> Analyzers?
>

> Regards,
> Jay Malaluan
> --