lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From Grant Ingersoll <gsing...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Boosting fields are searching or indexing time?
Date Mon, 01 Dec 2008 22:18:44 GMT
Possibly, but probably not.  Index time boosting is generally done to
say one field is more important than another field, or one document is
more important than another document, whereas query time boosting
generally says this term is more important than that term.

Additionally, search time boosting has much more granularity than
index time boosting, meaning you have more bits to express the boost
value during search than you do during indexing.

HTH,
Grant