lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From "Thomas J. Buhr" <visual.lo...@gmail.com>
Subject What are the best document edit options?
Date Wed, 17 Dec 2008 07:20:04 GMT
Hello Lucene,

Looking at the document object it seems like each time I want to edit
its contents I need to do the following:

1 - fetch the document
2 - dump its contents into a temp container
3 - update field values in the temp container
4 - create a new document
5 - transfer my updated field values back into the new document
6 - add document back into the index

This seems like a long process, is it really necessary?

An index structure does seem ideal for storing and searching a large
set of symbolic strings in my app. From here I need to render these
string chars as visible nodes on screen, this can be done with the
new JavaFX API .

JavaFX has a unique binding system that would also be great to use.
Using binding I could setup two way (inverse) binding between the
fields in a document and the rendered screen nodes. This way when
there is a value change in the rendered node the document field
values  would auto update and also if there is a change in the
document field value the node would auto update.

This update senario via binding would be ideal. How can it be done?

Information about the JavaFX binding mechanism is available at this
link:

http://java.sun.com/javafx/1/tutorials/core/dataBinding

Hope this can work,

Thom