lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From Aaron Schon <aaron_sc...@yahoo.com>
Subject Re: Lucene search problem
Date Mon, 22 Dec 2008 18:34:11 GMT
I would second Erick's recommendation - create an arbitrary representation for NULL such as
"NULL" (if you are certain the term "NULL" does not occur in actual docs. Alternatively, use
"NULLNULNULLNULL" or something to that effect.

----- Original Message ----
From: Erick Erickson <erickerickson@gmail.com>
To: java-user@lucene.apache.org
Sent: Monday, December 22, 2008 8:58:21 AM
Subject: Re: Lucene search problem

Try searching the mailing list archives for a fuller discussion, but
the short answer is usually to index an unique value for your
"null" entries, then search on that, something totally
outrageous like, say AAABBBCCCDDDEEEFFF.

Alternatively, you could create, at startup time, a
Filter of all the docs that *do* contain terms for the
field in question, flip the bits and use the Filter in your
searches. (Hint: see TermDocs/TermEnum)

Best
Erick