lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From Kay Kay <kaykay.uni...@gmail.com>
Subject Multiple IndexReaders from the same Index Directory - issues with Locks / performance
Date Mon, 22 Dec 2008 22:34:50 GMT
For one of our projects - we were planning to have the system of
multiple individual Lucene readers (just read-only instances and no
writes whatsoever ) in different physical machines having their
IndexReader-s warmed up from the same directory for the indices and
working on the same.

I was reading about locks (implemented as files) that Lucene uses
internally. I am just curious if using multiple readers would be a
feasible option here, all sharing the same index directory (across NFS /
similar network mounted storage ) in terms of locking etc.

Would there be a performance hit ( ignoring the NFS related performance
of course)  that would hinder multiple readers to serve query search
simultaneously from the same set of index files.