lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From Mark Miller <markrmil...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Approximate release date for Lucene 2.9
Date Fri, 19 Dec 2008 04:57:59 GMT
Well look at the issues and see for yourself :)

Its a subjective call I think. Heres my take:

There are not going to be too many sweeping changes in the next release.
There are tons of little bug fixes and improvements, but not a lot of
the bullet point type stuff that you mention in your wishlist. Its a
whole lot of little steps forward.

When it comes to sorting, there a couple possible goodies coming in the
next release:

TrieRangeQuery has been added to contrib. Super awesome, super
efficient, large scale sorting.

Work is ongoing to change searching semantics so that sorting is much
faster in many cases. In fact, their may be search speed improvements
across the board in many cases (don't quote me <g>). Sort fieldcache
faster. Also, Filters and Fieldcaches may be pushed down to a single
segment, making reopening sort fieldcaches *much* more efficient. Thats
a nice step towards realtime.

RangeQuery, PrefixQuery and WildcardQuery will all have a constant score
mode as well - this avoids maxclause limits and is often much faster on
very large indexes.

Locallucene, a very cool bit of code that allows geo search, might make
contrib for the next release.

Beyond that, there are a few more little gems, but its a lot of little
fixes and improvements more than big features.

Column stride fields and flexible indexing will not be in the next
release in my opinion, but a lot of progress towards flexible indexing
has been made.

Keep in mind thats a biased view of the next release - I worked on two
of those issues. Be sure to take it all with a healthy grain of salt.

- Mark