lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From Chris Bamford <chris.bamf...@scalix.com>
Subject Re: Open IndexReader read-only
Date Mon, 08 Dec 2008 13:37:52 GMT
Thanks Mark.

I have identified the spot where I need to do the surgery.  However, I
discover that IndexReader is abstract, but it seems crazy that I need to
make a concrete class for which I have no need to add any of my own
logic...  Is there a suitable subclass I can use?  The documented ones -
FilterIndexReader, InstantiatedIndexReader, MultiReader, ParallelReader
- all seem too complicated for what I need.  My only requirement is to
open it read-only!

Am I missing something?

Mark Miller wrote:
> Chris Bamford wrote:
>>
>> So does that mean if you don't explicitly open an IndexReader, the
>> IndexSearcher will do it for you?  Or what?
>>
> Right. The IndexReader takes a Directory, and the IndexSearcher takes
> an IndexReader - there are sugar constructors though - An
> IndexSearcher will also accept a String file path, which will be used
> to create a Directory which is used to create an IndexReader. It will
> also take a Directory, which will be used to create an IndexReader. It
> will also just accept the IndexReader.
>
> So you have to find how that IndexReader is being created (or where)
> and change the code so that you get to create it, and when you do, do
> it read-only. It should be easier than that roundabout info sounds.
>
> - Mark

Chris Bamford
Senior Development Engineer
*Scalix*