lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From Chris Bamford <chris.bamf...@scalix.com>
Subject Open IndexReader read-only
Date Mon, 08 Dec 2008 12:17:32 GMT
Hi

Can someone guide me please?

I have inherited a Lucene application and am attempting to update the
API from 2.0 to 2.4.
I note that the 2.4 CHANGELOG talks of opening an IndexReader with
read-only=true to improve performance.  Does anyone know how to do this?
I have been combing my predecessor's fully working code, and cannot find
/anywhere/ where an IndexReader is actually opened!  He seems to do this
sort of thing instead:

First he instantiates a DelayCloseIndexSearcher object, passing it a
Directory object. (I think he got DelayCloseIndexSearcher off the net -
according to the Javadoc, the author was Luc Vanlerberghe??).
He then accesses the IndexReader like so:

        IndexReader reader = *searcher.getIndexReader()*;
        TermEnum te = reader.terms();

So does that mean if you don't explicitly open an IndexReader, the
IndexSearcher will do it for you?  Or what?

Thanks,

- Chris