lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From "Erick Erickson" <erickerick...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: lucene search options
Date Mon, 08 Dec 2008 16:40:42 GMT
That'll teach me to scan e-mail. You can't use MatchAllDocsQuery
that way.
What you're actually searching for is the word "matchalldocsquery"
in the field "summary". Which returns nothing. Then you're subtracting
any documents with reporter *mark*. That isn't what you're after at all.

If you're doing this programmatically, you want something in the
Lucene code like:

BooleanQuery bq = new BooleanQuery()
bq.add(new MatchAllDocsQuery(), BooleanClause.occur.MUST)
bq.add(<parsed *mark* query here>, BooleanClause.occur.MUST_NOT)

now pass bq to the search method. This will require some work on your
part to detect when it's appropriate and when it's not. But presumably you
have the ability to know that.

I've seen referenced (but haven't used) something like
reporter:(* TO *) -reporter:*mark*

WARNING: I've seen this referenced in, I believe, the SOLR mailing
list. I don't know how it plays in straight Lucene,and I have no idea
what the gotcha's are, nor what version of Lucene supports this syntax
efficiently. Furthermore I'm unclear what the behavior for
a document without the reporter field is......

But I do know that you can't do what your example does....

FWIW
Erick