lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From "Gustavo Corral" <gustavo.cor...@gmail.com>
Subject Termfreq
Date Wed, 03 Dec 2008 15:44:04 GMT
Hi list,

I hope this is not a silly question, but I should ask.

I developed a IR system for XML documents with Lucene and I was checking the
explain() output for some queries, but I don't understand this part:

0.121383816 = fieldWeight(title:efecto in 1), product of:
1.0 = tf(termFreq(title:efecto)=1)
0.7768564 = idf(docFreq=4)

It suppose tf refears to the term's frequency in the document, but I know
there are more than one occurrences of this term in this document, so I
noted that termFreq stores the frequency of a term in the document, but just
for the given field, like if Lucene takes a field like a whole document. Is
this correct, and if that is the case is this a good practice for IR?

Thanks for any help or a good explanation.