lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From Annette Tisdale <anne...@whiteoblivion.com>
Subject What is speeding up repeated searches?
Date Wed, 17 Dec 2008 17:49:48 GMT

I've noticed in our lucene app that subsequent identical searches are faster
than the first search. So if I search for "things you know" the first
response time will be 160ms, the second will be 23ms. Then if I search for
"something else" the first response time will be 133ms and the second will
be 3ms.

We don't use FileCache, CachingWrapperFilter or QueryFilter and it's not
just the very first query which is substantially slower it's the first
attempt with each unique query.

Can anyone tell me what is happening in SearchIndexer to cause repeated
searches to be faster?

thank you,
Annette