lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From Shardul Bhatt <shardul.bh...@gmail.com>
Subject Need Opinion!!
Date Tue, 16 Dec 2008 05:41:45 GMT

Hi All,

I am facing a scenrio where I am considering using Lucene over the existing
implementation. The move to Lucene is going to require a lot of re-work so I
though I better post this and ask for an expert opinion.

Background
 There are 3 tables.
 1. University
 2. Course
 3. Subjects

 A university can have multiple courses.
 2 universities can offer the same course.
 A course can have multiple subjects.
 2 courses can have the same set of subjects.

Current implemetation.
	The current table is
	uni_id, course_id, subject_id

	I usually query for the uni_id based on combinations of course_id and
subject_id. The "user" looks for a university based on subject or a course
name.

Proposed Implementation
	The new table would be
	uni_id, course_name, subject_name

	Index(using Lucene) the table on course_name and subject_name and then look
for the uni_id using Lucene Index.

The size of the table is huge, test data has over 5000000 rows.

Shall I move to Lucene? Would it help improving the performance?

TIA.
Shardul.