lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From Paul Libbrecht <p...@activemath.org>
Subject Re: Beginner: Best way to index and display orginal text of pdfs in search results
Date Fri, 12 Dec 2008 11:47:23 GMT

I also encountered these options of the Field constructor but I never
found a way to be sure that the field is really not loaded in RAM and
only return with Field.reader(). There seems to be no contract in the
javadoc.
Moreover the reader access methods went away between 1.9 and 2.2 if I
don't mistake... so I had the impression it was not wanted to store
"blobs" in the index.

Also, reader is not enough to do a decent job to store PDFs.
It should be a binary format (so getBinaryValue() should be used) and
it should be an input-stream and not an in-memory array!

Echoes of a long frustrated user which implemented its own "mass-
storage" because of that.
thanks for hints and even contradictions!

paul