lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From Grant Ingersoll <gsing...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Need Opinion!!
Date Tue, 16 Dec 2008 11:36:31 GMT
Hi Shardul,

I just was w/ a client who pretty much had the exact same scenario and
Lucene (actually Solr) was just fine.  In fact, I think you could have
a prototype of this up and running in Solr (Lucene-based Search
Server) in a day or two.  As for performance, given each record is
likely quite small, I don't think 5M records will be that big of a deal.

Of course, every situation is different, so I'd recommend spending a
few days w/ Solr on it, or just setup some simple indexing/search
tests with Lucene.

-Grant

On Dec 16, 2008, at 12:41 AM, Shardul Bhatt wrote:

> Hi All,
>
> I am facing a scenrio where I am considering using Lucene over the
> existing
> implementation. The move to Lucene is going to require a lot of re-
> work so I
> though I better post this and ask for an expert opinion.
>
> Background
> There are 3 tables.
> 1. University
> 2. Course
> 3. Subjects
>
> A university can have multiple courses.
> 2 universities can offer the same course.
> A course can have multiple subjects.
> 2 courses can have the same set of subjects.
>
> Current implemetation.
> 	The current table is
> 	uni_id, course_id, subject_id
>
> 	I usually query for the uni_id based on combinations of course_id and
> subject_id. The "user" looks for a university based on subject or a
> course
> name.
>
> Proposed Implementation
> 	The new table would be
> 	uni_id, course_name, subject_name
>
> 	Index(using Lucene) the table on course_name and subject_name and
> then look
> for the uni_id using Lucene Index.
>
> The size of the table is huge, test data has over 5000000 rows.
>
> Shall I move to Lucene? Would it help improving the performance?
>
> TIA.
> Shardul.
>

> --

Grant Ingersoll