lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From Grant Ingersoll <gsing...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Indexing Names in Lucene -- Thomas = Tom, etc
Date Thu, 04 Dec 2008 12:12:34 GMT
I believe these lists exists out on the Internet, just google for
something like "most common first names" or "common
nicknames" (yields: http://www.cc.kyoto-su.ac.jp/~trobb/nicklist.html
for instance)

If you want to dig deeper, you might look into named entity
recognition research, and also co-reference resolution research, as
those problems often have to deal with this problem.

HTH,
Grant

On Dec 3, 2008, at 5:02 PM, Khawaja Shams wrote:

> Hi,   Yes that is pretty obvious that I would have to index Tom, but
> I think
> you missed the point. I don't have a list of names with their nick
> names,
> and this is pretty common: Mike being Michael, Richard being Rich or
> Dick,
> William could be Bill or Will, etc. I thought I would check if there
> was a
> canonical way of doing this before building my own list from common
> sir
> names.  Thanks for your time.
>

> Sincerely,
> Khawaja Shams
>
> On Wed, Dec 3, 2008 at 1:42 AM, Ganesh <emailgane@yahoo.co.in> wrote:
>
>> If you want to query for Tom, then you need to index the value Tom.
>> Create
>> one more field as Alias or add alias name as part of name field.
>>
>> Regards
>> Ganesh
>>
>> ----- Original Message ----- From: "Khawaja Shams"
>> <ksshams@gmail.com>