lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From "Teruhiko Kurosaka" <>
Subject RE: Phrase query-like query that doesn't requre all the terms?
Date Fri, 14 Nov 2008 17:05:20 GMT
Thank you for your reply.
My problem with Phrase Query is that it requires
existence of all the terms in documents.  I want them more
permissible.  I want it to match with lower score.
Does dismax also requires all the terms?

> Solr's dismax parser can generate queries that do most of
> this... it's a combination of term queries and sloppy phrase queries.
> Simplest example:
> +(DEF GHI) "DEF GHI"~10^5
> The only thing that it doesn't work for is the terms out of
> order (they will still be matched).  You could use span
> queries if you really need that ordering, but sloppy phrase
> queries already penalize the out-of-order since it's a bigger
> edit distance (but it won't be a "severe" penalty).

T. "Kuro" Kurosaka, Basis Technology
San Francisco, California, U.S.A.

To unsubscribe, e-mail:
For additional commands, e-mail: