lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From Erik Hatcher <>
Subject Re: Filter or Query
Date Fri, 21 Nov 2008 13:18:34 GMT

On Nov 20, 2008, at 11:58 PM, Ganesh wrote:

> I am planning to use Filter for UserID and Date. I will not be able
> to cache the Filter. I have to create this filter for every request.
> To my knowledge, Filter will give faster results, only if it is
> cached.
> Is it a good idea to use a filter or better to use query?

If you use filter queries (fq) in this manner, you will be caching the
results, and this could have a negative impact on faceting performance
if you bump facet field/query entries out of the cache.

Having uncached filter queries would be a good idea: <

But for now, you could simply append your "filter" to the original
query string (unless you're using dismax and need a sophisticated

To unsubscribe, e-mail:
For additional commands, e-mail:

View raw message