lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From Grant Ingersoll <gsing...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Which is faster/better
Date Tue, 25 Nov 2008 15:34:56 GMT

On Nov 25, 2008, at 7:53 AM, Michael McCandless wrote:

> As of 2.4, IndexWriter now provides delete-by-Query, which I think
> ought to meet nearly all of the cases where someone wants to
> delete-by-docID using IndexReader.
>
> Or are there situations out there where delete-by-docID is still
> compelling?

Assuming delete-by-DocId means IndexReader.deleteDocument(int) right?
That is, you mean the internal Lucene doc id, right?

If you already have the docId, would you need to/want to do delete-by-
Query or even delete-by-Term?  Isn't delete-by-id a lot lighter weight
since it only marks the the doc as deleted, where as d-b-Q can
potentially force a flush, etc?

-Grant