lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From "Noble Paul നോബിള്‍ नोब्ळ्" <noble.p...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Lucene and JSP
Date Sun, 09 Nov 2008 08:24:29 GMT
You can use a ContextListener in a servlet engine (like Tomcat) .
ContextListener has callback methods for init an destroy. You may open
an IndexSearcher in the init and store it in the ServletContext by a
name and every servlet can use that. When the app is stopped you get a
calllback and you can close the searcher
--Noble

On Sun, Nov 9, 2008 at 1:34 AM, Rafael Cunha de Almeida
<almeidaraf@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Sat, 8 Nov 2008 10:53:43 +0000
> "Mindaugas Žakšauskas" <mindas@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> > How do I keep only one IndexSearcher open for all the searches on my
>> > website?
>>
>> In order to keep your IndexSearcher open, simply do not close it and
>> serve the reference to the same object instance for different HTTP
>> request clients.
>>
>> This can easily be achieved using Singleton wrapper around
>> IndexSearcher which would be sitting somewhere in your backend server
>> API.
>>
>> m.
>
> Yeah, I was worried because all the documentation I read didn't tell me
> how to control when the servlet is loaded and when it's unloaded. So I
> thought that, since I had no control, maybe the server would reload the
> servlet more times than it should. But experimenting with tomcat5.5
> revealed that it's not really common for the servlet to be reloaded.
>
> I was a bit to worried about the costs of opening more than one
> IndexSearcher at the same time and reopening it a few times (I only
> reindex stuff once per semester). Now I realise that I was being too
> worried about that, you just shouldn't reopen IndexSearcher too often,
> but it's completely fine to reopen it every now and then. I was just
> being paranoid :-P.

--Noble Paul