lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From "Henrik Axelsson" <skinnybe...@gmail.com>
Subject Using multiple index searchers.
Date Mon, 24 Nov 2008 02:32:44 GMT
Hi all,

After reading the FAQ I have a question regarding the use of multiple
indexes and thus IndexSearches on the one server.

I work on ecommerce websites and am looking at replacing our current method
of full text searching product descriptions and names with a Lucene
implementation. I envisaged creating a separate index file for each of the
sites running on our main webserver (about 10 sites, each with different
product listings). However this would mean that I would need to have many
instances of IndexSearcher open and potentially come across file handle
limit problems (as outlined in the FAQ) as well as consuming lots of memory.
Is this a valid concern? Would I be able to use Lucene this way?

An alternative would be to combine all the sites data into one index, and
have a field identifiying which site each product entry belonged to. However
I would rather not mix the data together.

Thanks,
Henrik