lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From Antony Bowesman <...@teamware.com>
Subject Re: Which is faster/better
Date Tue, 25 Nov 2008 22:30:06 GMT
Michael McCandless wrote:

> If you have nothing open already, and all you want to do is delete
> certain documents and make a commit point, then using IndexReader vs
> IndexWriter should show very little difference in speed.

Thanks.  This use case can assume there may be nothing open.  I prefer
IndexWriter as delete=write is a much clearer concept that delete=read...

> As of 2.4, IndexWriter now provides delete-by-Query, which I think
> ought to meet nearly all of the cases where someone wants to
> delete-by-docID using IndexReader.

Yes, that is an excellent addition.  Up to now, our only use case for
delete-by-docId is to perform a dBQ and so far, we have been using your
suggestion from last year about how to do delete documents for ALL terms.

Antony