lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From markharw00d <markharw...@yahoo.co.uk>
Subject Re: [ot] a reverse lucene
Date Sun, 23 Nov 2008 22:26:10 GMT
If you index the queries consider also that they can potentially be
indexed in an optimised form.

For example, take a phrase query for "Alonso Smith". You need only index
one of these terms - an incoming document must contain both terms to be
considered a match. If you chose to index this query on the rare term
"Alonso" you would get far fewer requests to run this query than if you
chose to index the comparitively more common "Smith". Basically any
query with mandatory terms can be "index optimised" to record only the
rarest mandatory term (rarity typically being measured by using a
look-up on some background index).

Cheers,
Mark