lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From Andrzej Bialecki ...@getopt.org>
Subject Re: [ANN] Luke 0.9 released
Date Fri, 14 Nov 2008 10:47:03 GMT
mark harwood wrote:
> Hi Andrzej,
>
> Thanks for the update. Looks like you've been busy adding some great
> new features!
>
> I think you may have a bug in opening an index with prior commit
> points, though. I want to keep these in my index and so I opened it
> in Luke selecting the "open read only" and "keep all commit points"
> checkboxes. I can see in the code that under these conditions you
> take care to use a "KeepAllDeletionPolicy" but line 176 of
> IndexGate.java is hardcoded with a
> "KeepOnlyLastCommitDeletionPolicy". This wiped my prior commit points
> (No worries - it was only a test index).

Sorry about that - I'm glad it was disposable data. BTW, if you have a
small test index with multiple commit points could you please send it to
me off the list?

> The call stack leading to this code was: Luke.showFiles
> Luke.getIndexDeletableNames IndexGate.GetDeletableFiles
>
> The fix could be to pass the policy through this stack but may
> "opening read only" should mean just that and NO deletes at all are
> ever done - regardless?

Theoretically when you open a read-only IndexReader you can't delete
anything using that IndexReader, but in practice Luke directly accesses
the underlying Directory in many other places ... I forgot about the use
of IndexFileDeleter - and indeed passing the read-only flag here can
solve this, because then I can always use KeepAllDeletionPolicy when
opening read-only.

Thanks for the report!

--
Best regards,