lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From Michael Wechner <>
Subject performance/scalability issues re filtering of protected search results
Date Mon, 10 Nov 2008 19:52:54 GMT

We have about 1 mio documents and growing within a hierarchical order (3
to 20 deep) and about 3000 people accessing these nodes, whereas some
people have access to certain branches and other people to other
branches and some branches are shared. The access control of these nodes
is changing every day and also contains shortcuts  which allows people
to glimpse into parts of branches which they otherwise do not have
access to.

Currently we have one index for all nodes, which is ok
peformance/scalability wise, but before displaying the results we need
to filter based on the access privileges each user has, which is very
bad peformance wise, because it might be that the first 10K hits are all
protected re this user and hence it can take a very long time that one
finally finds a result that the user is actually allowed to see.

We were thinking about introducing an index for each user which only
contains the documents a user is actually is allowed to see, but this
doesn't scale well either if the user number is growing.

Any hints how other people are approaching such a situation would be
very much appreciated.

To unsubscribe, e-mail:
For additional commands, e-mail:

View raw message