lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From Mark Miller <markrmil...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Boosting results
Date Mon, 10 Nov 2008 13:58:15 GMT
Michael McCandless wrote:

> But: it's slow to load a field for the first time.  LUCENE-1231
> (column-stride fields) aims to greatly speed up the load time.
Test it out though. In some recent testing I was doing it was *way*
faster than I thought it would be based on what I had been reading. Of
course if every term is unique, its going to be worse, but even with
like 10 mil docs and a few hundred thousand uniques, either I was doing
something wrong, or even on my 4200rpm laptop hd, it loaded like nothing
(of course even a second load and then a search is much slower than just
a warmed search though). Was hoping to see some advantage with a payload
implementation with LUCENE-831, but really didn't seem to...