lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From mark harwood <markharw...@yahoo.co.uk>
Subject Re: [ANN] Luke 0.9 released
Date Fri, 14 Nov 2008 10:29:29 GMT
Hi Andrzej,

Thanks for the update. Looks like you've been busy adding some great new features!

I think you may have a bug in opening an index with prior commit points, though. I want to
keep these in my index and so I opened it in Luke selecting the "open read only" and "keep
all commit points" checkboxes.
I can see in the code that under these conditions you take care to use a "KeepAllDeletionPolicy"
but line 176 of IndexGate.java is hardcoded with a "KeepOnlyLastCommitDeletionPolicy".
This wiped my prior commit points (No worries - it was only a test index).
The call stack leading to this code was:
   Luke.showFiles
       Luke.getIndexDeletableNames
          IndexGate.GetDeletableFiles

The fix could be to pass the policy through this stack but may "opening read only" should
mean just that and NO deletes at all are ever done - regardless?

Cheers,
Mark

----- Original Message ----
From: Andrzej Bialecki <ab@getopt.org>
Sent: Friday, 14 November, 2008 1:52:13
Subject: [ANN] Luke 0.9 released

Hi all,

I'm happy to announce that the new release of Luke - the Lucene Index Toolbox - is available
for download (or WebStart use) here:

    http://www.getopt.org/luke

Changes in v. 0.9:
------------------
This release adds many functionality enhancements and advanced features available in Lucene
2.4.

* New features and improvements:
  o Added new tools:
    + Check Index - checks Lucene indexes for problems, and can fix some
      of them. This is a GUI front-end to the Lucene CheckIndex tool.

    + Export to XML - exports index data and metadata to an XML file.
      This is available both from the GUI and from the command-line.

  o Significantly improved Optimize and Cleanup tools.

  o Added ability to set norms on any indexed field in a document, or a range of documents.

  o Delete multiple documents by specifying ranges of document numbers.

  o Added support for new field functionality: omitTF and binary fields.

  o Improve the low-level information about the index, including format version.

  o Show interesting details about IndexCommit points and associated files.

  o Add short explanations of index files' functions.

  o Improve document reconstruction - now the information from TermFreqVector can be used
if available. Also, DocReconstructor can be used outside of Luke.

  o Significantly improved advanced search options - QueryParser settings, Similarity and
HitCollector settings.

  o Read-only functionality is supported directly in IndexReader.

* Bug fixes:
A lot of effort went into refactoring the code, moving away if possible from the spaghetti
code influenced by Thinlet and into a modular design. Still much needs to be done here. :(

This means that there are likely many more bugs than in the previous release, although I tested
all functionality to make sure that there is no data loss.

HOWEVER, if you work with precious data, it's always a good idea to use the "Read-only" option.

As usually, bug reports or suggestions for improvements, or even better patches, are welcome!

-- Best regards,
Andrzej Bialecki     <><