lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From Paul Elschot <paul.elsc...@xs4all.nl>
Subject Re: Term numbering and range filtering
Date Wed, 19 Nov 2008 20:22:01 GMT
Tim,

Op Wednesday 19 November 2008 02:32:40 schreef Tim Sturge:

> >> This is less than 2x slower than the dedicated bitset and more
> >> than 50x faster than the range boolean query.
> >>
> >> Mike, Paul, I'm happy to contribute this (ugly but working) code
> >> if there is interest. Let me know and I'll open a JIRA issue for
> >> it.
> >
> > In case you think more performance improvements based on this
> > are possible...
>
> I think this is generally useful for range and set queries on
> non-text based fields (dates, location data, prices, general
> enumerations). These all have the required property that there is
> only one value (term) per document.
>
> I've opened LUCENE-1461.

I finally got the point, see my comments there.

Thanks a lot, if only to show an unexpected tradeoff possibility
opened by the new Filter api.
I don't know whether you followed LUCENE-584 (Decouple Filter
from BitSet), but a contribution like this multi range filter makes
it all worthwhile.

Regards,
Paul Elschot