lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From Chris Hostetter <hossman_luc...@fucit.org>
Subject Re: bunch of newbie queries, PS
Date Mon, 06 Oct 2008 18:24:53 GMT

: Subject: bunch of newbie queries, PS

Paul: your subject linke seems to indicate that your email is a followup
to previous questions, however i don't seem to have ever seen those
questions posted on the list, and i can't seem to find any previous emails
from you in any of hte online archives -- so if that is the case you may
want to resend your questions.

: OK, after googling around for a while, I found this:
:
: http://wooga.drbacchus.com/lucene-and-documentation (alas, I agree)

These comments are from 2004 -- at a time when "Lucene" was basicly
just what is now known as "Lucene-Java". I'd like to think many of those
comments have since been addressed, particularly by the bg "What Is
Lucene" section on the home page that breaks down the list of subprojects
to help point people in the correct direction.

Specific comments on otherways the website and documentation can still be
improved today are always welcome.

: and then eventually I realized that the download web-page directory has
: a link to the "archive" where all the old stuff is (probably this is
: common and obvious, but I kept missing it) -- every link that purports
: to take me to an old version takes me to
: http://apache.oc1.mirrors.redwire.net/lucene/java/ -- it would help a
: lot (and would be easy to do, no?) if all the links to old stuff went to
: http://apache.oc1.mirrors.redwire.net/lucene/java/archive/ instead. (Not
: necessarily that particular mirror, of course.)

I'm not really sure if i'm understanding what your suggestion is -- what
links are you finding that "purports to take me to an old version" .. can
you give us specific examples? (ie: "On http://lucene.apache.org/foo.html
there is a link with the text "Get 1.9" that really links to ...")

Part of the confusion may be that many pages, which are archived copies of
hte documentation included in each release, have generic links like
"Releases" or "Binary and source distributions are available __here__"
type links that point at http://www.apache.org/dyn/closer.cgi/lucene/java/
We do not update these links as new versions come out (and old versions
are archived) becuase:
  1) these docs are archives of hte documentation included in teh releas,
we don't revise history.
  2) we want to encourage visibility and downloading of the most current
release, since it's the one with the most current bug fixes.  If someone
has (or finds) old documentation we don't want that documentation to link
directly to a download of whatever version was current at the time,
we want to link to the *current* version (which includes current
documentation)

But as i said: if you could tell us exactly whcih links confused you, we
can figure out if that's the situation we're talking about.  I'm also open
to suggestions for better ways to make the "archive" directory more
obvious for people who really are looking for historical releases
(although i'm at a loss to think of many common cases for wanting to find
old releases)

-Hoss