lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From "Ard Schrijvers" <a.schrijv...@onehippo.com>
Subject RE: Advise for Mediabase with Lucene
Date Mon, 06 Oct 2008 08:35:08 GMT
Hello Mathias,

IMHO sounds like you are planning to re-invent the wheel while all
things you want (AFAICS) are already largely available as open source
projects, and perhaps more important, open standards.

Your hierarchical data storage sounds like jsr-170 and jsr-283 are the
open standard solutions for this, and apache Jackrabbit is the reference
implementation for this. And, all indexing is done out-of-the-box, and
of course, all done with Lucene. Searching can be done by a subset of
SQL or XPATH (see jsr-170), or you can add your own. Furtermore, adding
apache Tika for automatic meta data extraction and Sanselan for
automatic image meta data extraction is really straight forward.

Just my 2 cents,

Regards Ard