lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From Dragon Fly <dragon-fly...@hotmail.com>
Subject Wildcard query ...
Date Wed, 08 Oct 2008 12:44:56 GMT
Let's say my index has two fields (Type and Description).  Type is either 0 or 1 and Description
is a string (up to 250 characters).  I'd like to execute the following search:

Would the query run faster if I specify the Type first:

    +Type:0 +Description:Honda*

I imagine it's much faster for Lucene to evaluate the Type clause than the Description clause.
 Is Lucene smart enough to filter out the Type 1 documents first before evaluating the more
expensive wildcard clause? I'd like to understand (at a high level) how Lucene would process
the query above.  Thank you.