lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From Petite Abeille <petite_abei...@mac.com>
Subject Re: Lucene vs. Database
Date Wed, 01 Oct 2008 17:49:17 GMT

On Oct 1, 2008, at 9:43 AM, agatone wrote:

> I'm working on a project that has big database in the background (some
> tables have about 1500000 rows). We decided to use Lucene for "faster"
> search. Our search works similar as all searches: you write search
> string,
> get list of hits with detail link. But there is dilemma if we should
> store
> more data into index than it's needed.

As mentioned previously, the visual display of your search results is
one rather critical factor in balancing the need to duplicate data or
not...

That said... aside from some rather narrow field of endeavors... and
assuming you already have a database... I would personally keep
everything in there and not even bother with Lucene in the first
place... after all, most databases worth using have "good enough" full
text search facilities already (e.g. MySQL [1], Oracle Text [2],
PostgreSQL [3], SQLite FTS [4], etc)...

In other words, do you _really_ need the full fire power of Lucene
just to tack on a rather pedestrian text search on top of your small
corporate database?

Just my 2ยข.

--
PA.