lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From rolaren...@earthlink.net
Subject Re: bunch of newbie queries, PS
Date Thu, 16 Oct 2008 15:48:13 GMT
Hoss --

Thanks for prior replies; now back to this one.

Context: I am trying to work with 2.2.0 (as mentioned), but when I got the downloads (src
and class-jar), they did not inclde something called "highlighter" that it now turns out I
need. So ...

>: the "anonymous" SVN (http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/lucene/java/trunk/)
>: does not work for me (I am using Eclipse 3.3, and have the subversion plug-in, v.
>: 1.2.4, and have successfully checked out code using SVN from other repositories).
>: Apparently here I need a user-id and pwd -- what is that or where do I get one?
>
>i'm not sure why you would be having problems with that ... i can't speak
>for Eclipse, but I just double checked and it's definitely allowing
>anonymous checkout from the command line.  can you try that and see if it
>works for you? (perhaps it's an issue with the server running subversion
>1.5 and your plugin only working with 1.4 ?)

OK, I tried again, and this time no-code asked for a user-id/pwd, and I could see the whole
repository-tree (http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/lucene/java/trunk/...); but ... when I tried
to check out the "highlighter" project, Eclipse sent me into a "quasi-infinite" loop (described
below to help others avoid this mess, not b/c I think there's anything wrong with the Lucene
repository).

This way seems to work:
   1) drill down and select "highlighter"
   (the page http://lucene.apache.org/java/2_4_0/lucene-sandbox/index.html
   has a link that takes me directly to that level of the tree, i.e., to
   http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/lucene/java/trunk/contrib/highlighter/);

   2) ask Eclipse to check out the "highlighter"

   3) Eclipse presents me with a dialog (I'd attach a PNG of a screen shot
   of it, but some newsgroups reject attachments -- are they allowed here?),
   that asks whether I want to check it out as a project ("Using the New
   Project Wizard") or into a project in the workspace (which sounds like
   it means an *existing* project);

   4) after I aborted the quasi-inf-loop (below), I just selected the
   "check out as project in the workspace" and accepted the default name
   ("highlighter").

   5) ta-da: actual code!

(As for command-line checkout: I am pretty well an idiot about command-lines; no clue at all
what the syntax would be ...)

thanks,
Paul

<quasi-inf-loop>
1) drill down and select "highlighter" (the page http://lucene.apache.org/java/2_4_0/lucene-sandbox/index.html
has a link that takes me directly to that level of the tree, i.e., to http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/lucene/java/trunk/contrib/highlighter/);

2) ask Eclipse to check out the "highlighter" ...

3) Eclipse presents me with a dialog (I'd attach a PNG of a screen shot of it, but some newsgroups
reject attachments -- are they allowed here?), that asks whether I want to check it out as
a project ("Using the New Project Wizard") or into a project in the workspace (which sounds
like it means an *existing* project);

4) I pick "new project" (since I have no existing project that would make sense as a home
for it -- I want to compile "highlighter" against the existing lucene jar that I have);

5) Eclipse presents me with another dialog (ditto on screen shot) that asks me to select a
wizard (a bit odd, this, since I thought I already did), and I select the obvious choice "Checkout
projects from SVN";

6) then in the next page of that dialog I am asked to select a repository (ok, getting weirder
-- surely I have selected a repository!?) -- I do so;

7) then in the next page of that dialog I am asked to select a project (ummm...) so I drill
down to /lucene/java/trunk/contrib/highlighter;

8) I click "Next" and find myself back at step 3 ... (this repeats as often as one wants to
bother).
</quasi-inf-loop>