lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From Grant Ingersoll <gsing...@apache.org>
Subject Re: How to search in metadata? (filename, document title, cocument creator, ...)
Date Mon, 20 Oct 2008 15:29:44 GMT

On Oct 20, 2008, at 10:32 AM, mil84 wrote:

> I've a problem witch searching. I need to search not only in file
> contents,
> but also in metadata. But I don't know how to do it. My code:
>
> Document doc = new Document();
> doc.add(new Field("contents", new FileReader(f)));
> writer.addDocument(doc);
> QueryParser parser = new QueryParser("contents", new
> StandardAnalyzer());
> Query q = parser.parse(list.get(i));
> Hits hits = is.search(createQuery(searchText));
>
> Everything is ok, it searches document's contents. But how to search
> for
> example in filenames? I I add this:
>
> doc.add(new Field("filename", f.getCanonicalPath(), Field.Store.YES,
> Field.Index.UN_TOKENIZED));

You'll have to tokenize the filename in order for it to match anything
other than an exact query.  I believe the Lucene demo shows adding
other fields.  Lucene doesn't have a concept of "metadata".  It only
has a concept of Document and Fields.  It's up to you to put in your
metadata, just as you have suggested here.  Try just making that
filename Field a tokenized field and see what happens.

If you're looking for tools to get metadata from files, then have a
look at Tika or Aperture, which can easily be paired with Lucene.
Aperture, I believe, even comes with a Lucene example.

> it doesn't work. Same problem is searching in metadata...Anyone
> knows how to
> do it? I browsed whole google 3 hours, but found nothing, not even
> just one
> working example, simple nothing....Thanx a lot.
> --

Grant Ingersoll
Lucene Boot Camp Training Nov. 3-4, 2008, ApacheCon US New Orleans.
http://www.lucenebootcamp.com

Lucene Helpful Hints: