lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From pfaun <pf...@yahoo.de>
Subject performance boost through multithreaded query processing?
Date Wed, 22 Oct 2008 12:02:41 GMT
Hello,

Currently we are facing the problem that some searches espacially fuzzy (term~0.6) wildcard
searches (*term*) needs some time depending on the field-searchword combination (the more
terms there are the more processing has to be done).
We improved the performance through caching the bitsets of the single fuzzy query/wildcard
query.

Within our logs we can see that combined queries within a BooleanQuery are processed sequentially.
So our question are: Does it make sense for you to parallelize the processing of the queries
within a boolean query (with a restriction of the amount of prallel processed queries)? With
the caches in mind it might be faster and the system is running on a multicore machine. Has
anyone experience in prallelizing single query processing within a BooleanQuery?
Could there be drawbacks combining the results of the booelan clauses. At the end there should
only be the bitsets connected to the terms, shouldn't it?

Thanks in advance

stephan