lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From Niels Ott <n...@sfs.uni-tuebingen.de>
Subject Combining keyword queries with database-style queries
Date Thu, 23 Oct 2008 12:27:53 GMT
Hi everybody,

I need to query for documents not only for search terms but also for
numeric values (or other general types). Let me try to explain with a
hypothetical example.

Assuming there is a value for the number words in each document (or the
number of person names, or whatever), I would want to formulate a query
like "Give me documents containing 'jack johnson' AND with token_count >
250".

I've been working with Lucene before and the keyword part is easy, but
what would be a good solution to query for numbers etc.?

One first idea I had was storing the numbers (which are basically a
HashMap<String,Double>) in the index in some way or the other. But it is
not at all obvious for me how to query them then.

Another thing I could think of would be using a separate database of any
type, but then how to bring those two together in a way that makes sense?

Any pointers to useful resources and any types of hints are welcome! :-)

Best,

   Niels

--
Niels Ott