lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From Renaud Delbru <renaud.del...@deri.org>
Subject Re: Modification of positional information encoding
Date Tue, 14 Oct 2008 13:35:41 GMT
Hi Michael,

Michael McCandless wrote:
> Also, this issue was just opened:
>

>    https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/LUCENE-1419
>
> which would make it possible for classes in the same package
> (oal.index) to use their own indexing chain.  With that fix, if you
> make your own classes in oal.index package, and perhaps subclass the
> above classes, you could then create your own indexing chain for
> indexing?  If you take that approach, please report back so we can
> learn how to improve Lucene for these very advanced customizations!

As a first impression, what will be handy in order to customize postings
list will be to make an abstract class FreqProxTermsWriter, that
separates segment creation and term information serialisation. This
class will implement the generic logic for flushing and appending
postings, but will delegate to subclasses the way you write doc + freq
and prox + payload info.

A first idea will be to have the following abstract methods:
- writeMinState : called by appendPostings, and define how to serialise
one FreqProxFieldMergeState
- writeDocFreq : called by writeMinState, and define how to serialise
docs and freq
- writeProx: called by writeMinState and define how to serialise
positions and payloads

I think other parts of the FreqProxTermsWriter can stay generic. What do
you think ?

Regards.
--
Renaud Delbru