lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From Matthew Hall <mh...@informatics.jax.org>
Subject Re: Lucene vs. Database
Date Wed, 01 Oct 2008 16:13:25 GMT
Another thing you could consider is that rather than meshing all this
data into a single index, logically break out the data you need for
searching into one index, and the data you need for display into another

This is the technique we use here and its been wildly successful for us,
as compared to going directly into the database.

Our DB is structured for ease of data entry/annotation rather than for
the ease is display.  So we use our display index to have standard
realized datafields that are pulled from various tables in the database.

So, when we search we include the unique key that each matched term
points to, and then use this unique key to pull out our display time
information.

Its worked pretty well for us, so its certianly a viable approach.

- Matt